Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2013

Update: My Soul Silently Waits



The first part of this story is here
A very scary early morning issue with my daughter that culminated into an ambulance ride to the ER with severe breathing difficulties. 

When we arrived home that day after her release, I was worried to say the least. Not only am I a mama, but a nurse as well. I knew night time was coming and they had warned us that she may get worse before she got better. Croup seems to attack the worse at night. Come to think of it--many things seem to attack at night. Especially around here.

Our son's seizures, (story here), seem to hit at night-not long after he falls asleep-or early in the morning. When I struggled with post-partum panic attacks, they struck at night-while I was sleeping. The ensuing and continuing anxiety attacks seem to worsen at night and awaken me from sleep. When I have issues with my heart, it usually happens at night.
My oldest son, the one with seizures, suffered night terrors when he was a young child.
My daughters struggle with nightmares from time to time.

As an ER nurse, many a child was brought in-you guessed it-late at night with fevers, croup attacks and so on. Heart attacks, strokes, seizures and more all made their way into the ER late at night. 
Needless to say, I have not always been a fan of the night. However, over the last several years, the night has been my 'quiet time' with the Lord so I began to see it's blessings as well.

As we were preparing for bed that night-placing our daughter in the room with us with a humidifier going-my mind was uneasy. As I was about to go to bed, some verses ran through my head. Almost back to back.

Psalm 91:5 (a)~ You will not fear the terror of night....(NIV 84)

Isaiah 54:13 (b)~ ......and great will be your children's peace. (this was actually part of the verse that I had been praying over my children the night before this happened, well, several hours before it happened)

Isaiah 55:11~ so is my word that goes out from my mouth. It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. (NIV 84)

I was completely amazed at the way the Lord was speaking comfort into my heart. I am still in awe of His compassion, mercy and grace to reach out to a weary and worried mama. That He loves each one of us so much that He reminds us of His promises and His words. That He is involved in every aspect of our lives.
To me, I am sure He knows my fear and dislike of the night. Yet, that is when He chooses to reach me. To teach me and to encourage me.
I was soothed that night. I knew that, once again, God cared so much for my children and for me. That He would protect us and watch over us. That I could "lay down and sleep in peace, for He alone makes me dwell in safety."

Do you know Jesus as your personal Savior? If not, check out this article from Proverbs 31 Ministries. Start right here and right now. Come with all of your baggage. Come with all of your sin. Come find rest for your weary soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment