Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The voice that needs silenced--Jennifer N

Negative inside chatter? Sounds like fodder for a visit from the men in white coats huh? Why is it that society is so quick to place a label on everything as either 'normal' or 'abnormal'? I used to joke to people and say, "Of course I talk to myself! I was an only child!" But the truth is, those words are not always nice words. Kind thoughts. I am my own worse critic. Reading Chapter 10 in Unglued, I see that I am not alone. Lysa's exact thoughts could be my own:

"Why did you say that? Everyone thinks you're annoying."*
"Your kids just illustrated inadequacy you have as a mom."*
(Unglued, p. 141)

One of my biggest battles always has to do with motherhood and my role as a wife. My role in my heart for talking about all Jesus has done for me--for walking through the valley with women facing many of the same issues I have faced.


2 Corinthians 1


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

So, how do we silence these thoughts? As an ongoing daily battle, I am still working on this. Imperfect progress. Moving the line in the sand. Imperfect changes are slow steps of progress wrapped in grace....all words we learned from Unglued and ones we should remember.
The first place we *should* go when we have these thoughts is straight to God's Word. Let's see what He says about us:


Jeremiah 31:3

The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting lovehave drawn you with loving-kindness.


1 Thessalonians 1:4

For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you,

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

We know how important the Word of God is in any battle:

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Ephesians 6:17
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Does it surprise you that the only offensive weapon we are given is His word? Does it surprise you that one of the weapons used AGAINST us are words? In looking at the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness, satan used and twisted Scripture (Psalm 91) to tempt Him.
True change, lasting change, comes from a renewal of our minds-asking God to sink His words into our hearts and minds.

Romans 12:2

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Praying for and with you sisters. May we keep pressing forward with His help, His grace, and His mercy. Silence the voice. Silence it with the weapon you were given by God. Look to what He says about you, not the voices...........

Big Daddy Weave: Redeemed
http://youtu.be/vSyLqbP8Z4I


Blessings to you,
Jennifer N, OBS group leader

No comments:

Post a Comment