Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

A Day in the Life: January 25th, 2013

Hey y'all! The Mosaic Review Team is gearing up for reviews this year, so I thought I would start a series of posts about how our days go. The good, the bad, and YES! Even the ugly! While I am thankful for this opportunity to learn alongside my children, and take God's call to heart, there are days that don't always go off so well. On verse that stays with me even through those days is:

Galatians 6:9~ And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

And another that keeps me going:

Colossians 3:23~ And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not to men.

Today actually started off really well. Isn't that how it goes sometimes? The kiddos were moving right along and getting their work completed. We even had a lot of fun between! This has been an awkward year to say the least. Bad curriculum choices and strong willed children don't mix well. However, I am blessed. I see how hard many have it with teenagers, and I am blessed beyond measure by mine. That said, mine are the main ones I see--ha ha!

We have been striving really hard to work on responsibility, maturity and most importantly, having a servant's heart. To 'walk our talk' so to speak. To show the world the love of Christ. We are using two things in our school which are quite new, but ones we are enjoying. The first is going to be used for all of the children (ages 3, 5, 12, 14). I got this idea from The Duggar's--yes, that sweet adorable family on TLC's 19 Kids and Counting. Michelle has such a beautiful heart and I have devoured both books they have written. Many of their convictions are different than mine, but I enjoy their parenting style, love for the Lord Jesus and servant minded mentality. We are using this for character qualities, which is shared on their family blog.

The second item is for the boys alone. We are starting with this one first, Boyhood and Beyond by Bob Schultz. We also have Created for Work by Bob Schultz on hand to go through next. The last two years, we have studied a lot in the book of Proverbs as well. Two other highly recommended resources that my oldest did last year, are both books by the Harris boy's: Do Hard Things and Start Here. The name of their site is: The Rebelution-it has been a tremendous blessing. Finally, another one they have been working through this year is Courageous Teens--along the lines of the movie Courageous (which we love!).
It is my prayer to:
Proverbs 22:6~ Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. (NKJV).
Does this mean my boy's won't make mistakes? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But it does mean that they know the right way, the only way--Jesus. That means that I have tried to give them the tools to raise them as godly men, fathers, and husbands who can spiritually and financially lead their own households.

NOW for the fun stuff! The 'fun' part of our day:



This is my 6th grade 12 year old's rendition (mom forgot to buy the proper supplies), of a Digestive System Amusement Park. The last two years we have used Apologia Science in some form or another and we LOVE it! This project came from their Anatomy and Physiology textbook. He finished Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures last semester, so this one was next. These books are very enjoyable and he loves the conversational tone she uses! Definitely a keeper here!


The girls made snow globes! My little one was begging to make one yesterday. Last night, on a last minute run to Wal-Mart, I was able to find a kit just for making these. She was so surprised!! The older girl isn't much of a picture taker. Haha!

Hope you enjoyed getting a little 'peek' into what our day TODAY looked like. Tomorrow? It could be different and that is the Beauty (and the Beast--haha) of homeschooling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment